Grilled Tomato and Chickpea Salad
The slightly charred tomato flavour pairs beautifully with the tang and subtle sweetness of the pomegranate molasses. Combine juicy chickpeas, garlic and fresh herbs to complete this tasty salad.
Pairs best with: Big Prairie Sky
- 2 Tbsp canola oil, for brushing the grill (30 mL)
- 4 large red tomatoes
- 4 large yellow tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp XV Cold-Pressed Canola Oil (30 mL)
- ¼ cup pomegranate molasses (60 mL)
- 1 garlic clove, grated using a food rasp
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (2 mL)
- 1 (19 oz/540 mL) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp minced chives (30 mL)
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley (30 mL)
- Preheat a barbeque over high heat. Core tomatoes and cut in half vertically. Brush cut side of tomato with canola oil. Brush grill grates with canola oil before cooking the tomatoes. Place the tomatoes, cut-side down on the grill, for about 3 minutes. Remove tomatoes from grill and let cool. Chop into quarters.
- In a bowl, combine canola oil, pomegranate molasses, garlic, salt and pepper and whisk to mix.
- In a large mixing bowl combine chickpeas, quartered tomatoes, chives and parsley. Drizzle with pomegranate molasses dressing and gently stir to mix. Divide equally between 4 plates and serve immediately.