Shaved Asparagus Spring Salad
This edgy spring salad is zesty, spicy, a snap to put together and will be a huge hit at any backyard party. Apples and honey provide sweetness while the wasabi peas add crunch and a touch of heat. Recipe provided by Chef Matt Basile of Fidel Gastro’s.
Pairs best with: Big Prairie Sky
- 14 spears fresh asparagus (14)
- 1 Honey Crisp apple (1)
- 6 radishes (6)
- 1 fennel bulb (1)
- 6 Tbsp Cold‑Pressed Virgin Canola Oil (90 mL)
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (30 mL)
- 1 piece ginger, grated (thumb size)
- 1 Tbsp honey (15 mL)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup wasabi peas (60 mL)
- 1 sheet dried nori, crumbled (1)
- fennel tips from bulb
- Shave fresh asparagus with a peeler, set aside in a large bowl.
- Cut apple and radishes into thin matchsticks, add to bowl.
- Thinly slice fennel against the grain, add to bowl – remove tips from fennel and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix canola oil, lime juice, grated ginger, crushed garlic, honey and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Blitz a small handful of wasabi peas in a food processor until it becomes a dust, set aside. Crumble dried nori, set aside
- Gently toss asparagus, apple, radish and fennel in bowl with dressing. Sprinkle with wasabi pea dust, crumbled nori and fennel tips, serve.